November 1, 2022
Dear Members of Our Campus Community,
I am writing to ask departments to begin the process of formalizing their Winter break plans for December 2022. The official campus holidays are:
- Friday, December 23, 2022
- Monday, December 26, 2022
- Friday, December 30, 2022
- Monday, January 2, 2023
The year-end is a great time to rest and recharge, so we should support flexibility around the last two weeks of the year for employees who request to take time-off during the week of December 19.
In the event of a complete department closure (curtailment) between Tuesday, December 27, and Thursday, December 29, 2022, employees will have the choice of using one or more of the following options, in accordance with university personnel policies and existing labor agreements, and subject to discussion and/or collective bargaining where applicable:
- Vacation (employees may utilize a certain number of vacation days in advance of their actual accrual as specified in university personnel policies and existing labor agreements; newly hired employees may utilize vacation accruals prior to six continuous months on pay status).
- Compensatory time off.
- Leave without pay.
Once planned office closures are determined, departments should report their proposed plans as follows:
- Non-academic departments should report proposed plans to their respective vice chancellors.
- Academic departments should report proposed plans to their respective deans, who in turn should report to the executive vice chancellor.
Office closure plans should be reported to deans or vice chancellors by November 7, 2022. We will examine the plans to ensure that any proposed office closures do not create unnecessary hardships for faculty, staff, or students.
If you have any questions regarding the development of your Winter break plan, please contact Lisa Romero, interim director of human resources, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
I hope you enjoy this much deserved break.
Henry T. Yang